Bacterial vaginosis is actually a health problem that occurs commonly all throughout our lives. There are a lot of good and bad bacteria which encounter in the vagina. If the balance between two kinds of bacteria gets disturbed, it causes this mild infection.
Some common symptoms are:
- Abnormal discharge
- “fishy” smell
- pain or discomfort during urination
Nobody can say for sure what leads to the bacterial imbalance, but some factors such as multiple sex partners, heavy smoking or douching can increase your risk of infection.
Bacterial vaginosis is not a life-threatening disease and often goes away by itself. But it’s always a good idea to eliminate this annoying problem as soon as possible. Here are some home remedies for bacterial vaginosis that can be tried at home.
- Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil consists of natural antibacterial and antifungal compounds that kill or inhibit the growth of bacterial vaginosis. It also combats the unpleasant odor that is a common symptom of bacterial vaginosis.
- Mix 3 – 4 drops of tea tree oil and 1 cup of warm water
- Rinse your vagina with this solution
These home remedies for bacterial vaginosis can be used every day.
This is a powerful antibiotic that can help to kill bacterial vaginosis naturally. In addition, using garlic is as well-known as an effective way to fight against many kinds of microbes that cause infections.
- Mash 3 – 4 cloves garlic
- Apply this on the affected area
- Rinse it off after half an hour
Repeat this home remedies for bacterial vaginosis once daily for 4 – 5 days.
Milk not only helps to boost your immune system but also contains good bacteria known as lactobacillus that help get rid of bad bacteria.
- Combine 1 or 2 teaspoons of turmeric powder with a glass of warm milk
- Drink this solution daily
- Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is great at treating bacterial vaginosis because its acidic nature can increase vaginal acidity. This will create an optimal environment for beneficial bacteria and make it hard for bad bacteria to grow.
- Mix 2 or 3 tablespoons of vinegar into warm water.
- Cleanse the vagina with this mix
Use this home remedies for Bacterial Vaginosis twice daily for 6 – 7 days.
- Coconut Oil
The antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal properties of the coconut oil can help to eliminate and prevent the germs causing bacterial vaginosis. Moreover, it also improve your immune system and speed up recovery.
- Dip a tampon in pure coconut oil
- Place it in your vagina
- Remove the tampon after several hours
- Cleanse the vagina with warm water
Repeat this home remedies for Bacterial Vaginosis once every day for 4 – 6 days.
- Oregano Oil
Health benefits of oregano is incredible, especially its oil. Oregano oil consists of two compounds of carvacrol and thymol that are famous for powerful anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. It can effectively fight off all kinds of bacteria, viruses and infections, including bacterial vaginosis.
- Mix 2 – 3 drops of oregano oil with 3 teaspoons of pure olive oil.
- Coat it on the affected area
- Rinse it off with warm water after 2 hours
Repeat this home remedies for Bacterial Vaginosis once every day until you see an improvement.
Fenugreek is not only extremely beneficial for maintaining a balance level of hormone but also helps improve the pH level in the vagina which can reduce the risk of bacterial vaginosis.
- Combine 1 teaspoon of fenugreek powder with a cup of yogurt.
- Eat it twice daily
Eat this mixture until you notice improvement.
Turmeric is well known for its anti-inflammatory and antibiotic capacities which can help you reduce the itching considerably. As a result, this is considered as one of the most effective herb among the best home remedies for bacterial vaginosis.
- Mix 3 teaspoons of turmeric powder with a glass of warm milk
- Drink it daily
Repeat this home remedies for bacterial vaginosis until you feel better.
Besides its beauty, Chamomile is also well known for high efficiency in treating the itching, burning sensation and reduce the growth of harmful bacteria.
- Put a tea bag of chamomile into a glass of hot water.
- Take it out after 1 minute
- Put in into a fridge for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Place the tea bag in the vagina.
Repeat this home remedies for bacterial vaginosis daily until the symptoms disappear.
- Indian Lilac
Indian Lilac (also known as Neem) is one of the most powerful ingredients that can be used for various purposes, including treating bacterial vaginosis.
- Heat 7 – 9 Indian Lilac leaves in a pan without adding water.
- Grind this leaves into a fine powder
- Mix 2 teaspoons of this powder with ½ cup of water
- Apply it on the affected area
- Rinse it off with warm water after 30 minutes
About the Author:
This article is written by Ashley Bennet, a senior contributor of wikihomeNutrition. She has over 3 years of experience on health and nutrition fields in order to help people treat common diseases and take advantages of ingredients surrounding them.